Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Tiramisu

I love tiramisu.  It definitely makes my list of favorite desserts (yes, I said list, how can anyone have ONE favorite dessert???)

This year, we are celebrating Christmas with my family a week early, as we are celebrating with my husband's family on Christmas, and if you know us, you know that it's definitely impossible to celebrate with both families in the same weekend.  So, I made tiramisu for one of the desserts (my other one is white chocolate raspberry truffle cheesecake, which I think I totally messed up, I'll write about that next time and let you know how it turned out).

Anyways, I thought I'd be generous (it IS Christmas and all), and share my tiramisu recipe, so you can love it as much as I do!

Ingredients:
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp. milk
2/3 c. granulated sugar
2 c. mascarpone cheese (side note - buy this at Trader Joe's if you have one near you, it's so much cheaper than the regular grocery store!!)
1.4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. heavy cream
20-24 ladyfingers (you can usually find these in the bakery dept.)
1/2 c. cold espresso
1/4 c. Kahlua coffee liqueur
2 tsp. cocoa powder

(Another side note, I used 3/4 c. strongly brewed coffee instead of the Kahlua and espresso)

Directions:
1.  Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring it to a boil over medium/high heat, then reduce the heat so that the water is simmering.  Whisk the egg yolks, milk, and sugar together in a medium metal bowl, then place the bowl on top of the saucepan.  Stir the mixture often for 8-10 minutes or until the mixture thickens.  Remove the bowl from the heat, and to it add the 2 cups mascarpone cheese and the vanilla.  Whisk it like crazy until the cheese smooths out.

2.  In a separate bowl, whip the cream with an electric mixer until thick.

3.  Slowly fold the whipped cream into the cheese mixture until it's completely incorporated, but don't over mix or it will deflate!

4.  Combine the espresso and Kahlua in a large shallow bowl.  One-by-one, quickly dip each ladyfinger in the espresso.  The ladyfinger will soak up the liquid like a sponge, so do it very quickly.  Arrange half the dipped ladyfingers side-by-side in the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan.

5.  Spoon about half the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers, then add another layer of dipped ladyfingers, and spoon the remaining cheese over top.

6.  Dust the top of the tiramisu with the cocoa powder, and cover and chill for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment